CAULDON POTTERIES LTD
Manufacturer of china and earthenware at Cauldon Place, Shelton, and from 1935 at the Crescent Pottery, Stoke. Pottery industry entrepreneur Harold Taylor Robinson bought Cauldon (Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co.) Ltd from its receiver in 1920 for £100,000. Robinson then ‘promoted’ to friends and investors a new company Cauldon Potteries Ltd to which he then sold Cauldon Ltd receiving in consideration £90,000 in Cauldon Potteries Ltd shares.
Robinson controlled Cauldon Potteries Ltd and used the company as the base for his varied and ever expanding pottery empire. J. A. Robinson & Sons Ltd and its many subsidiary companies was merged into Cauldon Potteries Ltd and this was followed by the acquisition of Coalport China (John Rose & Co.) Ltd in 1924. By 1932 companies under the Cauldon Potteries umbrella included Allertons Ltd, Brown-Westhead, Moore & Co. Ltd, Robinson & Leadbeater, Arkinstall & Son, J. A. Robinson & Sons, Ltd, G. L. Ashworth & Bros, Ridgways (Bedford Works) Ltd, F & R. Pratt & Co. Ltd, Grindley Hotel Ware Co. Ltd and W. H. Goss Ltd (this list is not exhaustive).
Robinson’s businesses, especially those exporting to North America suffered from the effects of the Great Depression and in 1932 Cauldon Potteries Ltd was placed in receivership by its debenture holders (Harold Taylor Robinson was declared bankrupt at about the same time). The Cauldon Potteries Ltd assets were sold and Cauldon Potteries Ltd and its Coalport subsidiary were acquired by Harrison & Son (Hanley) Ltd. In 1935 the Harrisons consolidated their pottery interests at their George Jones & Sons Ltd (Crescent China) works and the three firms (George Jones, Cauldon and Coalport) operated as a group although maintaining their separate identities.