In 1962, the Bakelite models were replaced with lighter plastic versions, the first of which was the Model G. This change was driven by Sawyer’s new president, Bob Brost, who took over in 1959. The View-Master had been constructed originally from Kodak Tenite plastic and then Bakelite, a hard, sturdy, somewhat heavy plastic. The lightweight thermoplastic became the material of choice under Brost.
In 1966, Sawyer’s was acquired by the General Aniline & Film (GAF) Corporation, and became a wholly owned subsidiary. Under GAF’s ownership, View-Master reels began to feature fewer scenic and more child-friendly subjects, such as toys and cartoons.
(lees meer in : View-Master – Wikipedia )